Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Working With Medicinal Plants in the Tropics


The Lord really put the interest in natural medicines on our road. I am a qualified nurse and midwife, but have not practiced for many, many years. In 2005 a friend in Tanzania gave me a book about medicinal plants in the tropics and how to use it. Before I was not interested in plant, herb and home remedies, mainly because it was to my experience not officially written down. My daughters and I were very interested in this book, especially because there are clear guidelines, exact measurements as well as scientific results. Amelia had an interest before and tried different remedies from young. Even on our journey through parts of East Africa 1999 - 2001 she was the one who used peach pips, eggshells etc. to nurse the family. I stuck mainly to a glove of garlic daily for each member of the family to prevent malaria.

In 2006 we assisted another mission for 6 months in Loltepes, South Massai – first with assisting in the completion of a building project before the deadline and directly after that we managed a short-term feeding project amongst the Massai in the same area. We were in a position where we did not have access to the medical supplies. So out came the Natural Medicine in the Tropics book. We found it to be a great help. Garlic, onion, salt, clean water, liquid soap and PRAYER performed miracles.

After a period of time we returned to Tanga. The daughters and I were interested to attend a training seminar in medicinal plants. Eventually we were advised to have a training in Tanga, should we be willing to host it. In March 2009 an ANAMED training seminar was conducted in Tanga. Thereafter we started a group, Anamed Tanga. As the year went by, the numbers dwindled. Some people were hoping for a way to make quick cash money.

My vision
1. That Tanzanians will see what great riches God has given us. Tanzania is not poor, we are rich. If we could just open our eyes and see what God has put before us, we are not lacking. God is a just God, faithful in all His ways. This is a tropical region, with tropical diseases; BUT with tropical medicinal plants to counteract the diseases. Many of our ailments and sicknesses are plainly due to ignorance and neglect and NOT due to poverty as so often been advertised. Many of the medicinal plants grow freely next to the road; anyone may take his/her pick.
2. We are planting and developing a medicinal garden where we can harvest for our medicinal teas, ointments, oils – even seeds. The seeds of Moringa Oleifera, Carica Papaja (Pawpaw) etc. are medicines. We plant especially Aloe Vera, Artemisia (trying to succeed in this climate), Capsicum Frutescens (chilli), Moringa Oleifera, lemongrass and Hibiscus Sabdariffa (Roselle). Some weeds like Euphorbia Hirta (asthma weed) thrives during the rainy season. Before I used to pull it out as weed, but today it is a valuable plant to us. We also want to have enough to give plants and seeds to others to start with their own garden.

We also do home visitations, advising and selling or giving out natural medicines to people. This past year Amelia took a large load on her as she has been the one mainly going out to patients on her bicycle. She also does massaging where necessary. She is our main saleslady. Cherise plants, pack our products and is also the secretary for our group. I plant, harvest and dry leaves and seeds as well as home visitations. During this hot, humid season my visitations have dropped considerably. By the time I’m through in the garden, 10.00 am onwards, it is just too hot for me to go out on a bicycle.

We had another training seminar in November 2010 at our home. Rudi also received his training. The daughters and I were trained in 2009. Rudi goes out daily on his bicycle, visiting elderly Asian men and others. I’m pleased and amazed, though not surprised. Years back while in Sesfontein, Namibia where we were the only white people amongst a tribe, I often were so thankful for Rudi. I’d rather be with him in the “bush” as an assistant, than with trained medical people who can only worked in the known environment of a hospital. He always had a plan – even transporting patients with drips flapping in the wind on his way to the nearest hospital 300km away. He handled it with ease. It is mango season now. So first thing in the morning Rudi picks up mangoes, peel them, make juice and then he is out on his bicycle for visitations with his juice and fresh mangoes. These homes are not necessarily open for the gospel to be presented in a religious way, BUT the love of God demonstrated through love and care allows you to come into homes of people not believing in Christ Jesus as the Son of God.
I have also been teaching about medicinal plants in two communities and in a church or two. Some Christian people are still skeptical as witchdoctors, who are plentiful in this country, also uses plants with witchcraft to cure . Once again the challenge before us is to redeem that which God has given to mankind out of the hand of Satan. I would love to see missions/ministry locations, orphanages, the poor and needy, learning to plant and use the medicinal plants to improve their life. Even in a very small piece of ground some valuable plants can be cultivated.
TESTIMONIES:
During our stay in Loltepes, Massai land, there was a young Massai boy of about 12 years who had a large festering sore on his knee where a stick pierced him a few weeks prior to meeting him. The medical officials refused me the use of antibiotics from their store as I was not registered as a nurse in Tanzania. We treated him with the wisdom and healing in the name of Jesus Christ. We bandaged that knee twice a day, washing it with salt water, applying ointment and he had to take large doses of fresh garlic for about ten days. We prayed with him, after every dressing. Within days of dressings we saw a remarkable healing. He was able to return to school, promising to do his own dressing on the small opening that remained. His mother proudly reported him to be well and running around soon afterwards.
God is not a respecter of persons, positions and colour. Another very amazing miracle took place. One late morning, when I was so tired and worn out from people coming and going, trying to cook food on the charcoal stove, dispensing medicine at the same time from our shed as well as doing dressings in between; two boys approached me. I was tired, hot and dirty, and definitely did not feel anointed. The younger boy asked me if I had medicine for his older brother who was standing there, being deaf. I had no medicine for deafness, but Jesus is our Healer, if I feel anointed or not. After discussing it with Cherise, I put my fingers in his ears and together we agreed in prayer. All of a sudden his eyes were so bright and he looked happy. I decided not to ask him if he can hear, as so many will say “yes” just to satisfy the one asking. I went to the Land Rover and switched on the car tape recorder and played a Christian Massai song. He was standing some distance away, with his back towards me – but he heard that song immediately and started flicking his fingers, with a smile all over him. We were all joyful with him and that surely encouraged us anew. God does not need my physical, mental and spiritual strength to perform His miracles. We did not see the boy again, as these young teenage Massai boys had to look after cattle away from their home. :

No comments:

Post a Comment